Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Firefox Showcase Add-on - part two

I did in fact install the Firefox Showcase add-on as reported in the preceding blog post, and have any managed to remember that I intended to write something about it after having it installed, that being, I suppose, the time when one should generally write about software, after having it installed, although there are plenty of stories and articles and such written about things that not only haven't been installed and tested but which aren't yet available, or in many cases don't even exist.

Showcase does have the function that I want, to search for text in existing open tabs, so that you don't have to remember and hunt for something that you are think you have open already, or do as I tend to do and give up on finding the alread open tab and open a new tab and search for the desired content with Google.

Showcase also has a whole bunch of fancy features that I don't particulary want or need. Showcase will give you thumbnails of open tabs. I tend to have a lot tabs open, say, 20 to 80 tabs open in a window. The thumbnail default size is such that I can't read the text. There are means for setting and adjusting the thumbnail size, but I don't really want to have to learn a bunch of new controls and so on for adjusting the size of things that I will spend as little time on as tab thumbnails. Bad enough that I have to adjust the values of page zoom and text zoom so frequently when viewing the regular web pages. I don't want to read thumbnails anyway; I just want to find tabs by searching for text.

If I keep this extension, which I probably won't, I'd tend to want to use it in the Open in New Tab mode, but there's a problem with that; when you close that tab, you don't go back to the tab you were on when you invoked Showcase. That may be because I'm using both Tab Kit and Last Tab. Firefox extensions don't all work together well. Specifically, Showcase wants to do things to the tab controls at the left and right of the tab bar, but Last Tab also wants to modify that area's behavior, and since I've tried Tab Kit, I've been using 4 rows of tabs and not having the normal left and right tab selecting controls, so these three add-ons don't blend together in a harmonious way.

Well, I've lost the desire to write more about the Firefox Showcase extension; I will leave it installed for a while and perhaps write more about it after using it a bit longer, although the probability of remembering that I intended to do that is rather small. If you want a flashy way to look at tabs, and perhaps want to be able to search for text in open tabs, you might want to give it a try; if so you can find it at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1810 .

No comments: